Benefit Roller Lash Mascara Review

Posted on Sunday 15 March 2015

I sometimes get complimented on how 'long' my lashes are, which is great, but I struggle with mascara because of this, in addition to how straight my lashes are. Straight lashes don't hold a curl very well, and any type of lengthening mascara just leaves me with mascara marks all over my eyelids. I have given up on curling wands, because I found they put a dent in my lashes rather than a nice curl, plus have you seen those horrifying images of the girls that get their lashes pulled out! 

The is where the Benefit Roller Lash mascara comes into play. I was lucky enough to be one of the first Aussies to get my hands on this, gifted at a recent blogger event. The official Australian release date is April 11. I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this mascara, as I've used Benefit mascaras before and don't get me wrong I liked them, but they weren't worth the incredible hype or price tag. I'm more of a drugstore mascara gal. However, I must say I am pleasantly surprised!
Claims:
If there is one thing Benefit likes doing, it is creating hype around new releases. Here's what they have to say about the Roller Lash mascara. This is the mascara that hooks, lifts and curls. It is targeted to girls with short lashes, straight lashes and small eyes, because the brush fits all eye shapes and sizes, catches every lash and curls the lashes. The Roller Lash mascara claims to provide lift and curl that lasts for 12 hours. The rubber wand is inspired by hair rollers, as it is meant to grab even the finest, tiniest lash and provide that curl. The mascara is not waterproof and comes in an ink black shade. 

My Verdict:
The packaging is gorgeous, as with any other Benefit product. One thing I really like is the length and the rubbery texture of the 'handle' (the pink bit), this ensures the mascara applies easily and comfortably. On first impression, the wand reminded me of both the Max Factor Masterpiece Transform mascara and the L'oreal Telescopic mascara. On closer inspection the Roller Lash is definitely much more curved than the straight wand on the Telescopic Mascara (making it much easier to apply), with smaller 'hooks' than the Masterpiece Transform wand (which means it really grabs every lash to coat it). I applied the mascara as instructed, with a 'hook and roll' motion. I got the wand close to the lash root, and rolled upwards. This method works really great, and I could see a visible difference in the lift of my lashes. Call me crazy, but this mascara real does curl your lashes. However, I cannot yet vouch for the amount of hold it gives in regards to the curl, 12 hours seems a bit of a stretch. 

So what did I dislike - I did find the mascara to clump a little bit, which is something I am not a fan of,  the mascara is also definitely not smudge-proof. Overall, this is a great mascara for girls with naturally long lashes looking for something to add a curl and lift and give that wide-eye effect. I applied one coat and it gave a really nice natural effect, Roller Lash is great for a day-to-day mascara.

Are you going to be picking up one of these to try when they are released? See you Wednesday for the next post! 
  1. I've heard so many great reviews for this mascara, it's making me a bit curious to try it out as well!! My lashes aren't that long, so I am always looking for something that is lengthening.

    Ree // Coffee with Ree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you pick it up you'll have to let me know your thoughts. I am definitely pleasantly surprised by it :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm still yet to try it out but it shall be gracing my lashes very soon. Not gonna lie, very skeptical that it will curl my lashes, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised as well!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye put for your review, I'm also interested in seeing how it lasts tomorrow for a nine hour work day.

      Delete