Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder and Modernist Eyeshadow Palette Review

Posted on Sunday 8 March 2015

I am a total bargain hunter at heart, something I'd never admit to my 'deal-hunting' mother. More recently, however, I have been buying a few more luxury beauty items, and it feels so good! 

Luxury cosmetics brand Hourglass, is a brand I have heard many International beauty bloggers rave about, and I can see why. Firstly, the packaging is gorgeous and the products, ranging from eyeshadows, to blush and highlighters, look like works of art. Using these luxurious products really makes you feel like a million bucks. 
The first Hourglass product that made its way into my possession is the Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. I originally wanted to purchase the palette with three powders, but after swatching the shades, and not being a lover of anything shimmery on my face, I knew I would only use Dim Light. I did not upload any swatches of the product because it is really hard to capture the light, but I love using this powder to set my foundation as it gives my face a glowing and luminous effect without looking shimmery. The colour is described on the Hourglass website as; "A neutral peach beige powder that blurs imperfections and highlights a radiant complexion with the perfect balance of warm and cool tones". This powder retails for AU$59.00, which is really pricey for a setting powder/ highlighter. In my honest opinion this product is not really worth that price tag, but if you have some extra cash and would like to treat yourself then it is something that's really nice to have. It does not make a drastic difference to a make-up look but rather subtly compliments your skin. 

The second product I picked up on a total whim when I headed to Mecca Maxima for a refund. I had 10 minutes before I started work and just grabbed the shades that appealed to me, of-course that would be neutrals. This is the newly released Hourglass Modernist Palette in Infinity, featuring five warm, neutral shadows. This is absolutely the most beautiful make up product I own, it retails at a whopping AU$76 (that's $15 an eyeshadow!!!). So is it worth it - I have read so many reviews online saying the eyeshadow doesn't blend well and has a lot of fall out, however that is not the experience I have had with this palette. I have worn this eyeshadow almost every day since making the purchase. My favourite look is to apply shadow #2 all over the lid, with shadow #4 and #5 in the crease (depending on how intense I want the look). I apply the beautiful shimmery shade #3 (which is my favourite out of them all) in the outer half/three quarters of my lid and use shadow #1 to highlight my inner corner and brow bone. I really cannot recommend this product enough!

So far I absolutely love Hourglass and their luxe products. I am very tempted to pick up a second Modernist Palette this pay day. And I'd like to eventually try their highly coveted Veil Mineral Primer. What are your thoughts on these products - worth the moola? 
  1. Such stunning products! I've only owned one Hourglass product and it kept shattering (both literally and my heart because it kept breaking ahahh)
    www.katinalindaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that's awful! I'll make sure not to travel with these then, just keep them safe in storage 😊

      Delete