My Fitness Routine

Posted on Sunday 16 March 2014

I try to live an active lifestyle and keep fit, but my workout routine really depends on how I'm feeling that week or month. As with any routine, once I start exercising regularly it's easy to stay on the right track, but as soon I fall off the wagon, its hard to get back into a routine again. Today I wanted to do a post on my workout routine that I aim for weekly.

WORKOUT

Once or twice a week (depending on how busy my week is), I like to go to a group personal training session. The group I go to is held in my local park and costs $15 per session. If you have a look on the internet you will most likely find many of these PT groups in your area, it's simply about mustering up the courage to go there (TIP: Take a friend with the first time you go so you feel more comfortable).

Where I go, there are two type of classes; boxing (which is boxing and cardio mixed together) and HIIT (high intensity interval training, which incorporates weights). I really enjoy both of these classes, and being in a group pushes you to keep going when you want to stop. These classes are my main workouts for the week, as I can't slack off or stop whenever I want.

Aside from the group training sessions, I workout at home three- to four time a week. I like to workout with Youtube videos as I enjoy these workouts more than simply running or jogging. I do these workouts for 20 to 30 minutes, mixing videos. These are just a few of my favourite videos:

I love Jillian Michaels' videos as they get my heart rate going. I also like Cassey Ho's pilates videos for core strengthening. For beginners, Lionsgate Be Fit channel is a great place to start as there is a variety of videos from various trainers, so you can really see what type of workouts you like.

EQUIPMENT

You don't need a fully equipped home gym to workout at home. Honestly you could probably get by with things found in your home, I've seen people substitute weights with bottles filled with sand, or heavy books. If you are willing to spend some money on equipment these are a few things that I would suggest for starting off:

  • Yoga matt 
  • Dumbbells [a lighter pair (3kg) and a heavier pair (8kg)]
  • Resistance bands
  • Kettle bell


TIME

I think everyone is different when it comes to the most appropriate time to workout. I personally prefer working out in the mornings, mostly because if I don't get my workout over with early, I don't do it. However there are many benefits of working out early, including more energy and a faster metabolism throughout the day.

SHOULD I EAT?

Since I like to workout early, I don't have a full breakfast before working out. Usually like to have a banana before my workout, just so I don't get dizzy or faint, and then I'll have a protein rich breakfast after my workout.

I am in no way a professional when it comes to fitness or health, these are purely suggestions based on my personal findings.

Post a Comment