The Fault In Our Stars Book Review

Posted on Sunday 23 February 2014

I don't often read a book within a day or two, as I've said in my previous book review, I usually end up reading a few books at a time. However as I was shopping a few days ago, I saw The Fault In Our Stars by John Green on the shelf. I have been aware of John Green's books, but never read one as I thought they were written for younger readers. Encouraged by a girl I work with, I decided to buy the book.

That night I got into bed with The Fault In Our Stars and didn't stop reading until about 1am in the morning. I was engrossed by the characters and their unique personalities. Although the book is aimed at young adults, I didn't find the writing to be boring or anything (I know a lot of people loved Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I couldn't stand the way it was written so.. pathetically). 

I finished the book the next morning, its the first time in a long time that I've finished a book within 24 hours. Ok yes, it is not hard to read at all, but this is one that you won't want to put down.

I always struggle to explain the books without giving the story away so bear with me. Hazel is the main character in the book, she is a 17 year old terminal cancer patient. I honestly fell in love with this character, the way she doesn't let cancer define her (even though she knows she is going to die from her cancer), she is humorous and has an interesting take on the world. So anyway, Hazel meets this boy, Augustus, whom has cancer as well (however, his cancer has a much higher survival rate than Hazel's). Basically, they fall in love as you suspect and then there is a twist to the story.. NOW GO READ IT!

There are more characters in the story as you will find out, and I love how John Green managed to give each character such a unique quality, I feel like I know them all. Just a tip: this is a tear jerker, do not read when overly depressed or in public!

I can't wait to read more of John Green's books, I hope they are all so well written! If you have read this one or any other of his books, do leave me a comment about it!

P.S You can watch the movie trailer here , but don't forget to read the book too as they are ALWAYS better than the movies ;)

Post a Comment