Amazing M&M Birthday Cake Idea

Posted on Tuesday 18 June 2013

Today I am straying from the usual beauty topic to talk about something a little sweeter. Last week was my boyfriend's birthday and I wanted to bake him something great! I really like baking and after many failed attempts (I always forgot some crucial ingredient), my baking is now usually successful. I have seen many images of kit kat/m&m cakes on Pinterest but didn't think I would be able to bake it. Thanks to Recipe Girl, I realised how easy this cake actually is!


I, unfortunately, did not think to take photos of my step by step process but I will try my best to explain how I baked it without visuals:

  1. I bought 2 packet mix box cakes (whichever flavour you like, I used chocolate), and baked them each separately.
  2. After both cakes have cooled, I cut the top of one of the cakes horizontally (to create an even surface on which the other cake can sit. 
  3. I used a can of caramel to spread on top of the cake where I cut (you can use icing sugar or whatever your heart desires). Then place the second cake that is still intact on top of the first one. The reason I made two cakes is because I wanted a high standing cake.
  4. I then used the rest of the caramel and spread it on top of the second cake as well as all around the sides of the cake (once again you can use icing sugar).
  5. Break up the kit kats (I used about 5 slabs) and placed them all around the cake. They will stick to the caramel (or icing sugar). 
  6. Next up just sprinkle the m&m's on the top of the cake (I used a whole packet).
  7. Lastly, to make sure everything stays together and to add a nice touch, tie a ribbon around the cake.
As I mentioned, I was inspired by the cake that Recipe Girl made on her blog. 

Post a Comment